Wholegrains are very beneficial in the diet because they help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, several forms of cancer and some gastrointestinal problems. The risk of both heart disease and diabetes may be up to 30% lower in people who regularly eat wholegrains as part of a low-fat diet and healthy lifestyle.
Eat porridge oats at breakfast and get 2 wholegrain servings. A bowl of porridge oats (40g serving of oats = 2 servings of wholegrains) meets 66% of the recommended daily amount of wholegrains.
Irish Oatmeal with diced cranberries, flaked almonds and orange zest;
Neven Maguire – TV chef and Proprietor of MacNean House
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- 3/4 pint – 1 pint (11/2 cups/350-475ml) of milk, (according to desired consistency)
- 4oz (11/2 cups/110g of Flahavans Irish Oatmeal
- Zest of half an orange
- 1 tbsp cranberries
- Toasted flaked almonds to serve
Cooking and Serving instructions
- Place the oats and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes until soft & creamy
- Grate the orange zest
- Add dried cranberries
- Place in a bowl and serve sprinkled with toasted almonds